Tuesday, November 29, 2011

For an S Gal... There's No Place like "Home"

For those of you who are not S Women yet this blog post may make absolutely no sense to you. I am working on a blog posting that tries to explain what S Factor means to me but it's taking me awhile to write it because it's turned into a bit of a novel!! For those of you who are S Women... I think you will understand....

Have you ever just completely had the wind taken out of your sails to the point that you feel beyond deflated? Your soul sinks and your stomach aches and you feel like someone has punched you in the gut.... That's how I feel right now. Let me explain...

I am in Vegas and Ken is doing some work so I thought I would take in a pole class just for the heck of it and why not since I am here. Jen told me about Fawnia Dietrich (who is apparently the first pole fitness instructor - or such is her claim) and that I should absolutely go and take a class from her. So I was game. I had been to another pole studio before while visiting Annapolis so I knew it was nothing like S Factor but thought that's okay it will still be fun. So off I went to class.

To start with we did about 2 minutes of "warm-up" if you can call it that. And then we dove into pole tricks. They were definitely some cool pole tricks but the point that just did me in was when she did a trick combo to the ground and did a half hip circle to a pole bend and said "this transition {meaning the half hip circle} is what will make you stand out from other pole studio gals." ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? That's a transition? I collected myself and just kept going telling myself that I know their idea of a class like this is totally different than what mine is.... and that's when it hit me like a ton of bricks. (I am pretty sure you could've seen it on my face if you'd been there.)

I am so excited to be moving to Annapolis as most of you know. I am psyched about a new place to live, being in a great town where I can walk to everything, seasons, being so close to DC etc. And I always knew I was going to miss S Factor but for some reason tonight it slammed into me like a Mack truck just how much I am going to miss S Factor. Yes there is a pole studio called Expose in Annapolis but (and for those of you who aren't S Women I know you won't get this but that's what I hope my next S Factor themed blog will explain) but...........
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE POLE! 
Don't get me wrong - I love the pole. Lately my EC has been completely enamored with the reverse jack-knife. But it's so much more than that. I leave my S Factor class, wether it's my usual Monday night with the amazing Krystal and the most awesome group of ladies ever or if it's another class that I've dropped into with a different instructor and different incredible women, and I feel so happy and fulfilled and at peace and well... whole.

Fawnia is amazing and incredibly talented and I enjoy watching her perform. The class itself is good if that's what you are interested in. And I certainly could learn a lot of tricks from her or someone like her... but that's not what brings me back to S Factor week after week....

I managed through the rest of the class, there was still about 30 minutes to go. Did some tricks that were new to me.... at the end did a 3 minute cool down.... gathered my stuff and headed to my car. I got in my car, closed and locked the door and just sat there. (And no I am not being melodramatic here - I am totally serious.) I began to tear up. It hit me just how big a part of my life that S Factor is for me and how incredibly much it means to me. And in just over 150 days I won't have a studio that is even remotely close to me. The closest studio to Annapolis is the New York Studio which is 4 hours away with no traffic. (And for those of you who have ever visited NYC or the DC area you know the idea of no traffic is laughable! There's always traffic!) The DVD workouts are good but they are just not the same...

So now I am a bit melancholy and what I am in desperate need of is some moving meditation I think....
If only I had a teleporter....

Stay tuned... I promise I am working on my short novel that talks more about my love for S Factor....

2 comments:

  1. :-( Poor chelle! Sorry the pole dancing class didn't give you the S-experience. Maybe it's a sign that you need to open an S Factor studio in DC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this! I have the exact same feelings about my upcoming move to Zurich. Even now, on my worst days, I will make the one hour drive to my S factor class because I KNOW I will feel so great when I leave. But Zurich........I don't think I can manage a 9 hour plane ride every Monday. I wonder if we can get them to Facetime the class for us??????????

    ReplyDelete