Friday, November 9, 2012

Happy Birthday Marines!

Well I am a day early but since I don't expect to have a lot of time to type up a blog tomorrow I figured I'd type a quick one today!

I am excited that we are headed to the Commandant's USMC Birthday Ball tomorrow night. It just so happens that it is on the actual birthday November 10th.

I am proud to be a Navy wife however I must tell you that the Marines do celebrations right! I am proud to be able to go celebrate the 237th birthday of the Marine Corps alongside many of my dear friends, some of them Marines, and celebrate together this wonderful tradition in our country. It is so hard to describe the emotions of a Marine Corps Ball but I promise I will try and do the best I can to do so next week after the ball.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the Birthday Ball and it's beginnings etc. for you to read in the meantime (if you're interested)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_birthday_ball

Be sure and wish a Marine Happy Birthday when you see them in the next handful of days and be sure and thank those who serve our country for their service because without them we would not enjoy the freedoms that we do as Americans. Freedom truly isn't free.


I leave you with the lyrics for a fantastic song....

From the Halls of Montezuma
To the shores of Tripoli
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land, and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title
Of United States Marine.


Our flag's unfurled to every breeze
From dawn to setting sun;
We have fought in every clime and place
Where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far-off Northern lands
And in sunny tropic scenes;
You will find us always on the job --
The United States Marines.


Here's health to you and to our Corps
Which we are proud to serve;
In many a strife we've fought for life
And never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy
Ever look on Heaven's scenes,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines.

No comments:

Post a Comment